Getting Ready to Become a Christian
This is the story of a little girl about nine years old. We will call her Marcy. Her parents had taken her to Bible school and worship services since she was born. Marcy loved to hear stories about God and Jesus, and more than anything she wanted to obey Jesus. She had seen many people baptized. Now, she was wondering when she could be baptized.
One night her father was reading the Bible to her and she asked him when she could be baptized. Her father explained that in God’s family there are little people and big people. Little people are those who are not old enough to know about sin, and are “safe” in God’s love. The big people are the ones who are old enough to know and understand about right and wrong and have been baptized for forgiveness of sin. For now, this answered Marcy’s question.
But the next day, Marcy began wondering if there was anything little people could do to show their love to Jesus. So she went right to her mother to ask about it. “Of course, Marcy, there are many things you can do.” “Let me remind you of the things you are doing.”
1. When you go to Bible class every Sunday and Wednesday night, you show Jesus that you would rather be there learning about Him than anywhere in the world. And your friends can see that you put Jesus first in your life.
2. When we give your allowance to you, you always put some back to give to God on Sunday. God knows you love Him when you give your money.
3. Remember when you first invited Timmy to go to Bible class? He knew you loved Jesus and that you were concerned about him loving Jesus, too. That is why he started going with you every Sunday.
4. You always show respect and obedience to the policeman. When we obey the laws of the land, we are obeying Jesus.
5. And, when little Janet was sick you took her flowers. Jesus knew you loved Him because you are concerned about others.
6. And, when Mrs. Brown needed someone to run an errand, why do you think she asked you? She knew you are kind and helpful like Jesus wants you to be.
7. Your school teacher tells us that you are quick to obey her, that you are kind, and always say “please” and “thank you”. She knows that you are getting ready to be a Christian.
8. Marcy, when you play with your friends, you always take turns. This is the reason you have so many friends. They know you share the way Jesus taught us to. So, they enjoy playing with you.
Now, little Marcy was so pleased and happy. She was sure she could do many things to show Jesus she loved Him and desired to always obey Him. Until she was old enough to be baptized, she would just keep on getting ready. To become a Christian, we need to study and read the Bible (2 Tim. 2:15), believe that Jesus is the Son of God (Heb. 11:6), repent of our sins (Acts 2:38), confess our faith in Jesus (Rm. 10:9, 10), be baptized for the remission of sins (Mk. 16:16; Acts 2:38). Jesus used little children as examples of what people must be like to go to Heaven.
“And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven” (Mt. 18:3).